How to use this guide
This pick ‘n’ mix guide is packed with inspiration and ideas for your marketing efforts over the summer period, from June to August 2023.
For each month, I’ve prepared an event calendar, which might inspire a post, promotion or tie-in. I’ve included links where possible, so you’ll find all the information you need, including themes and full event details.
Please double-check the 2023 dates and that the events are still going ahead before you invest time and money on marketing.
There are also three seasonal content themes for each month, which you should be able adapt for your brand and your audience.
Remember, your content should be about helping rather than selling, so make sure it’s customer focused with a clear What’s In It For Me (WIIFM).
This will be an evolving post that I plan to return to and update every year. For advance notification of updates, make sure you’re following me on LinkedIn.
If you need more ideas, you’ll find plenty in my blog post:
101 Blog post ideas to benefit your business.
*Denotes events held on the same dates every year.
Content ideas for June 2023
June 2023 event calendar
1st* — Volunteers’ Week (UK)
2nd — Welsh Wine Week
3rd — Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Awareness Week (UK)
5th — Bike Week (UK)
5th — Child Safety Week (UK)
5th — National Growing for Wellbeing Week (UK)
5th — Aromatherapy Awareness Week
5th — World Heart Rhythm Week
12th — Diabetes Awareness Week (UK)
12th — #GladToCare Awareness Week (UK)
12th — Healthy Eating Week (UK)
12th — Loneliness Awareness Week (UK)
12th — Men’s Health Week (UK)
13th — Nutrition and Hydration Week (UK)
17th — Drowning Prevention Week (UK)
17th — English Wine Week, TBC
17th — National Picnic Week (UK)
19th — National Pathology Week (UK)
19th — National School Sport Week (UK)
19th — Refugee Week (UK)
19th — Learning Disability Week (UK)
19th — Children’s Hospice Week (UK) TBC
26th — Rabbit Awareness Week (UK)
1st* — World Milk Day
1st* — Global Day of Parents
2nd — The Big Lunch (UK)
2nd — National Fish and Chip Day (UK)
2nd — 70 years since the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II
3rd* — World Bicycle Day
4th — Cancer Survivors’ Day
4th* — International Day of Innocent Child Victims of Aggression
5th* — World Environment Day
5th* — International Day Against Illegal Fishing
7th* — World Food Safety Day
8th* — World Oceans Day
10th — World Gin Day
11th — LEAF Open Farm Sunday (UK)
14th* — World Blood Donor Day
15th* — National Beer Day (UK)
15th* — World Elder Abuse Awareness Day
15th — Clean Air Day (UK)
17th — World Martini Day
17th* — World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought
18th* — Autistic Pride Day
18th* — International Picnic Day
18th* — Sustainable Gastronomy Day
18th — International Surfing Day, third Saturday in June
18th — Father’s Day (UK), third Sunday in June
20th* — World Refugee Day
21st* — World Humanist Day
21st* — Global MND Awareness Day
21st* — Summer Solstice, Northern Hemisphere
21st* — World Music Day
21st — National Writing Day (UK)
21st* — International Day of Yoga
21st — 75 years since Manchester Small-Scale Experimental Machine, the world’s first stored-program computer, ran its first program
23rd* — UN Public Service Day
23rd* — International Widows’ Day
23rd — International Women in Engineering Day
23rd-25th — The Great Get Together, in memory of Jo Cox (UK)
23rd — Take Your Dog to Work Day (UK), Friday after Father’s Day
23rd — National Parma Violets Day (UK), TBC
26th* — International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking
26th* — UN International Day in Support of Victims of Torture
27th* — Micro, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises Day
29th* — International Day of the Tropics
29th* — Haro Wine Festival, Spain
30th — National Cream Tea Day
30th* — International Asteroid Day
30th — Wallace and Gromit’s Wrong Trousers Day (UK)
30th — 70 years since the first roll-on-roll-off ferry crossing from Dover to Boulogne
June 2023 content ideas
1. World Environment Day
June 5th is World Environment Day.
- Talk about your environmental policies and show how you’re making a difference
- If you sell products, talk about ways your customers might reuse or recycle them or their parts
- Introduce a new environmental initiative and write a blog post about it
- Ask your employees where the waste problems are in your business and take steps to tackle them — show others how you did it so they can do the same.
2. Summer holiday
With summer holidays just around the corner, why not help your customers prepare? Offer some tips, create an inspiration guide or write on a relevant topic. Choose something that’s relevant for your brand. Here are some ideas to inspire you:
- Self preparation: tanning, waxing, hair styling
- Inspiration: hairstyles, fashion, beach-ready looks
- Winding up at work: checklists, advance preparation, autoresponders
- Health and safety tips: sun care, healthcare, first aid, dos and don’ts
- Travel tips: regulations, restrictions, money, vehicle hire,
- Activities: hiking, water sports, camping, photography, video
- Equipment: wetsuits, sunglasses, hiking shoes, cameras, canoes, tents, caravans, awnings, furniture, backpacks and bags
- Packing tips: holiday essentials, checklists, ‘don’t forget’ lists.
3. Making the most of the season
- Summer offers and promotions
- Cooking: fresh seasonal produce, new ideas, recipes or flavour combinations
- Summer drinks: cocktails/virgin cocktails, punches and party drinks, best for hydration
- Health: summer diet, benefits of keeping hydrated, ways to drink more water, best exercise for hot weather
- Getting out and about: things to do, places to go, activities to try
- Being outdoors: garden furniture recommendations, how to style a balcony or small garden, bringing the outside in with healthy plants.
Content ideas for July 2023
July 2023 event calendar
Week+ long events
1st* — International Reggae Day
3rd — National Bereaved Parents’ Day (UK), TBC
3rd — International Plastic Bag Free Day
5th — 10 years since the world’s first lab grown burger was cooked and eaten at a news conference in London
5th — 60 years since the Great Train Robbery in England
7th* — World Chocolate Day
8th — SPANA’s World Tea Party, for sick and injured working animals
8th — World Rum Day
10th — Don’t Step on a Bee Day
11th* — World Population Day
12th* — National Simplicity Day (UK)
15th* — World Youth Skills Day
17th* — World Emoji Day
17th* — World Day for International Justice
17th — 10 years since same-sex marriage was legalised in the UK
18th* — International Nelson Mandela Day
20th* — World Chess Day
24th — Talk to Us Day, for the Samaritans
24th* — World Tequila Day
25th* — National Schizophrenia Awareness Day (UK)
28th* — World Hepatitis Day
29th* — International Tiger Day
30th* — World Friendship Day
30th* — World Day Against Trafficking in Persons
July 2023 content ideas
1. War on plastic
It’s Plastic-Free July. Here are some ideas for a tie-in, choose something that’s relevant for your brand:
- A how-to on how to find all the sources of plastic in your business — even the hidden ones — and talk about alternatives for buying better in the future
- Create a tutorial for reusing and repurposing plastic: in arts and crafts, for storage, for decoration, making toys, plant holders etc
- Write about projects in your industry where plastic waste is being repurposed, reused or recycled
- Compile a guide to plastic-free alternatives, where to find them and how to use them
- Launch an initiative in your business to cut or reduce your use of plastic and write about it — or talk about your current efforts to cut plastic waste.
2. School summer holidays
The school summer holidays start in July, so it’s a good time to look at content that will involve families and children.
- Activities: new things to try, places to go, sports, gaming
- Create a challenge to encourage creativity, promote learning or help the community
- Devise an online or outdoor treasure hunt
- Write about planned events in your local area
- Put together a list of books to read or films to watch
- Family barbecue: food, activities, games, theme, ideas
- Create an arts and crafts tutorial.
July 17th is World Emoji Day, so it could be a good time to talk about the way we communicate, how it’s changed and how it’s changing. Here are some ideas:
- Write about AI and how it’s changing the way we communicate
- Create an on-brand emoji or picture quiz — for fun or with a prize draw for correct answers
- Write a piece about the best communication strategies in your industry and what makes them so effective
- Run a customer survey to learn about communication problems in your organisation, publish the results and show how you plan to improve
- Write about your experience of automated communications, when they work well and when they don’t
- If you’re improving or changing the way you communicate with your customers, use this as an opportunity to talk about your plans
- Write about how our language and communication styles are evolving with new generations and technologies.
Content ideas for August 2023
August 2023 event calendar
1st* — National Road Victim Month (UK)
1st* — Yorkshire Day (UK)
2nd — Play Day (UK)
4th — Cycle to Work Day (UK)
4th — International Beer Day, first Friday of August
8th* — International Cat Day
8th* — National CBD Day (UK)
12th* — International Youth Day
13th* — International Left-Handers Awareness Day
13th* — National Prosecco Day (UK)
19th* — World Photography Day
19th* — World Humanitarian Day
21st — World Plant Milk Day, TBC
August 2023 content ideas
1. Back to school
The new school term starts next month. If this is relevant to your brand, you could write a post aimed at the members of your audience who have children. Here are some ideas:
- Lunch prep ideas to make things quicker and simpler
- Back to school checklist: stationery, uniform, school shoes, school bag, PE kit, trainers, software/apps
- Parental advice to help their children with productive study, being active, staying hydrated, handling stress, keeping a positive attitude, bullying, online safety, friendships and relationships
- Compile helpful resources to help parents and their children get back to school, such as study guides, tips and advice.
2. Last days of summer
As we’re edging closer to autumn and a new school term, it’s time to make the most of the last days of the summer holiday. You can use this as an opportunity to inspire your audience with ideas on how to do that.
- Inspire your readers to compile an end of summer bucket list, filled with fun family things to do — give them lots of ideas
- Last minute summer break ideas featuring late details and where to find the best sunshine spots
- Talk about the best new attractions, places to go and events happening in your area during the last weeks of summer
- Write about the best seasonal produce that’s still available to enjoy.
3. World Photography Day
August 19th is World Photography Day: A worldwide celebration of the art, craft, science and history of photography. Here are some ideas for photo and image based posts:
- Run an on-brand photo challenge or competition on your social media and publish your best entries in a blog post
- Put together a photographic post that will show your audience inspiring ways to use or style your product
- Present a series of photographs, images or mood boards that represent your brand, then write about them in a blog post
- Produce a photo diary for a week behind the scenes in your business.
Want to add an event?
My aim is to build a comprehensive calendar of UK and international events. If there’s a great event that’s missing and you’d like me to consider including it, please get in touch with the details and official website.
Other posts in this series
Content ideas for autumn covers the months from September to November
Content ideas for winter covers the months from December to February.
Content ideas for spring covers the months from March to May.
As many dates aren’t confirmed until close to the event, these posts will usually be updated a couple of months before each season starts.
Do you need quality content for your business blog?
I’m Jenny Lucas, a freelance content writer based in Leicester, UK.
If you like what you’ve read here, but don’t have the time, skills or inclination to do your own content marketing, I can help by writing it for you.